Have you already left home and realised you don't have travel insurance? You're not alone - it's surpising how many people intend to arrange insurance, then forget and start their trip. Don't worry, we can help!
Maybe you're abroad and have decided you'd like to stay away longer. You might have contacted your insurer, asking to extend your current policy but they won't extend it for you because you've already left the UK.
Our specialist policy can help you.
This policy can potentially provide cover up to 79 years of age. However, anyone over 65 needs to complete a short application form and the insurer will decide on a case by case basis if we are able to offer cover, If applicable, the form will appear as part of the quotation and booking process.
There are some conditions and criteria that you need to meet
- please see below.
The quickest and easiest way to book your policy is online. This keeps down our costs and therefore premiums.
Just click the Quotation & Booking button above.
I've got an EHIC - do I really need travel insurance?
Yes! If you don't have travel insurance, you're exposing yourself to potential serious financial risk.
An EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) doesn't necessarily mean you'll get free medical treatment; it merely puts you on the same basis as an insured person in the European country you're visiting. So you may well have to pay for medical treatment and medication costs that would otherwise be covered by our travel insurance. Bills very easily mount up!
Furthermore, an EHIC won't cover you for:
- repatriation to the UK (this usually costs several thousands of pounds)
- new return travel costs to the UK or expenses if your trip has to be extended because of medical reasons
- expenses incurred by a companion so they can remain with you if you're in hospital, beyond your expected return date
- loss of baggage or personal items while you're away
- claims for delays of your return trip
Alternatively, you can call us on 0330 606 1423 (from outside the UK: +44 20 3189 1214).
Here are the conditions and criteria for this policy:
(words in bold are listed in the definitions section of our policy wording)
- You must be a UK passport holder and have unrestricted entry to the UK
- Your main residential address must be in the UK.
- You must be registered with a general practitioner (GP) in the UK
- There is no cover provided for Cancellation of your trip as you have already left the UK.
- Claims related directly or indirectly to any pre-existing medical condition will not be met. Our definition of a Pre-existing medical Condition is the following: An ongoing medical or dental condition, or related complication you have, the symptoms of which you are aware of, or that is currently being or has been investigated by a medical practitioner, dentist or a chiropractor; or a medical or dental condition for which advice, treatment or medication has been prescribed by one of the people listed in this definition, within 180 days before you purchased your policy. This applies to you, your travelling companion, an immediate relative or someone upon whom your trip depends.
- People with pre-existing medical conditions can still purchase this policy but no claims relating to a pre-existing condition will be met.
- If cover has been taken out after you have left home to commence your trip, the insurance does not take effect until either 72 hours from the date you purchased the policy, or from the start date of the policy. In the event of serious injury in connection with an accident, you will be covered from either the date you purchased the policy or from the start date of the policy, whichever is the later, subject to the accident being witnessed and verified by an independent witness. Our definition applicable to Independent Witness is a third party who is not directly involved with the insured event and is not related or does not have any connection to the any of the parties involved in the insured event. Any information provided by the Independent Witness must not be biased towards any of the parties involved within your claim. Unless the Independent Witness can provide a clear, accurate and unbiased account of the insured event, any information provided from them may be discounted.
The policy will not provide cover if any of the following apply to you, a travelling companion, an immediate relative, close business associate or someone upon whom your trip depends (whether they are travelling with you or not):
- You/they were aware of any reason why a trip could be cancelled or curtailed
- You/they were travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner or in order to get medical treatment abroad
- You/they have been diagnosed as having a terminal illness
- You/they were receiving, recovering from, or on a waiting list for inpatient treatment in a hospital or nursing home